03/22/2020 by "George the Garden Guy
Basic Landscaping for Homeowners
Whenever a homeowner asks me what they should do with their landscaping I usually tell them, "Less is more." The reason is homeowners typically don't know what they're planting is going to do 5, 10, & 20 years from now. Most of the time when I go to a customer's home that has invited me to give them a design and estimate they ask me what can they keep of the landscaping they've already done. Unfortunately its usually such a hodge dodge mess with no rhyme or reason, I tell them, "not much." On many occasions I tell the customer that it would be best to just remove everything and start with a blank canvas.
New home builders are the worst! They just have someone throw some inexpensive shrubbery in with no regard for the future homeowner and we get tons of calls from customers that say, "We hate our landscaping," or "My landscaping looks like a jungle." The only thing a new home builder cares about is what it looks like before closing. Its a basic and cheap as they can make it.
Here's a few tips to follow when doing your own landscaping project if you have little to no experience:
1. Stay basic in your plan. Don't try to coordinate 10 different plant species into your landscape. Stick with 2 or 3 main choices, with possibly a feature type plant incorporated here or there. Such as a palm, topiary, or something to accuante corners.
2. Do not go to big box stores for advice! The employees there are well intentioned but have no idea what they're talking about. Even thought the plant tags have info tags you can't rely on them. Plant info tags are based on a mid Atlantic plant zone. You live in a much different plant zone. If you don't talk to someone who knows any given particular plant will do something totally different than the tag instructs. I could go on but just trust me on this one.
3. Don't always assume "Your landscaper" knows what they're talking about either. Honestly, most "Landscapers" are guys with a pickup and a lawnmower. THEY DON'T KNOW! I can't tell you how many "Landscapers" come into my plant nursery and have no idea what they're doing and ask me for advice. I'm happy to help them. They're patronizing Holiday's because they know they can get knowledgable help and then they buy their plants from me.
4. Look at the picture attached to this blog. You see how simple yet classy that looks? Think of it as if you're selling you're home. You don't want your landscape to look like its so personal to you that someone else can't imagine living there. If you want to get more of a "Wow" factor then this, you need to call me! That's where I'll come to your home and take over!
5. Go with a multi level effect. it shows off better. Something tall in the rear, medium height in the middle, smaller ornamentals in the front.
If you need help and just want to turn your project over to me give me a call at (904) 613-9918